Tuesday, June 24, 2014

BE HAPPY YOU'RE ALIVE AND LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT



Just so you know; here at the beginning I’m going to be posting quite a bit, in the hope that I can catch myself up on everything that has led me to this diagnosis and treatment. I will try to keep the posts under 1,000 words, so it will be easier for you to read, and me to write.

Now that you know I had cancer and went through traditional treatment for it, let’s move onto the next trauma (both physical and emotional) in my life. During this time I was living on a ranch in Idaho and we were raising Quarter Horses. I have to tell you, those horses saved my sanity. I wasn’t able to do much, but anytime I could be outside playing with them was time I wasn’t thinking about my horrifying physical condition.

One sunny morning I decided to move one of the brood mares to a different pasture. Not thinking at all, I stepped through the gate with Eve following, I twisted my body to swing the gate shut and this directed Eve to back up. She backed right into the electric fence. Once she got the shock, she took off like a rocket, right over me.

I literally ‘saw stars’. I believe I was only out for a minute or two and when I came to, I was face down in the mud. Upon trying to get up, I realized I was hurt in several places. My left thigh, right in the quad muscle was on fire, I had a big knot on my forehead (don’t know for sure if I was kicked or hit a rock when I went down) and my right ankle really, Really, REALLY hurt. I hobbled my way back to the house, which was probably about a quarter mile away. When I got into the house and called for help, everyone wanted to know why I was covered in mud.

The result was a broken ankle. It seems the horse stepped on my left thigh and directly on the muscle in my right calf, causing so much torque on that muscle that it snapped the bone at the ankle. I was fortunate that it had not displaced, but was confined to a large non-weight bearing ‘boot’ for a minimum of six weeks and I had a mild concussion.

During this time on crutches, my leg began to swell. The orthopedic surgeon wasn’t too concerned until this swelling would not go down. My oncologist later told me that it was due to the removal of lymph nodes during my surgery, and the after-effects of radiation, followed by this trauma that now the lymph fluid on my lower right quadrant was not moving properly. The solution: Wear compression hose (essential when flying) and be happy you’re alive, and learn to live with it.

The breaking of my leg was trauma number two in a very short period of time. My current doctor is pretty convinced that this is what contributed to my Fibro and Auto Immune Disease. I have been plagued with recurring pain in my right leg ever since, but the general sensitivity and all-over pain did not commence until a few years later. More on that in the next post.


3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you didn't tell me about this blog.
    I just now stumbled on it by going to your profile page on my way to your other blog.

    Have you quit posting on this blog already? It's been close to a month since the last blog bit was published here.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Well, you know me. I am definitely not a 'look at me, look at me' personality, especially when it comes to personal maters.

      I started this at the suggestion of my doctor (actually he suggested I start a journal about my progress) and two friends who suffer with Fibro wanted me to chronicle my treatment and keep them informed about the progress I was making. I have a few more posts in a word file, but I got a little bogged down and am not up to date on everything that has gone on.

      The two friends who wanted to be kept up to date, didn't follow the blog (I'm not 100% sure if they read more than the first entry), so I was not encouraged to keep making the journal entries public. Still haven't decided about that. If I really thought someone might find it and it be helpful to them, I would definitely keep it up. I don't know how to connect it to those key words of interest that might pull it up for someone who was a cancer survivor or suffered with Fibro or an auto immune disease. That might lead more people who could find this information useful here.

      I do appreciate your comment and you being my first follower here. MAYBE, that's the encouragement I need to edit and post my other journal entries and keep this up.

      Thanks for being there.

      Delete
  2. Like Stephen, I actually wasn't even aware this blog existed until today. I was just going to head back to your blog to check your comments via your Blogger handle and was curious to see another blog listed.

    I actually didn't know that injuries could lead to/contribute toward diseases like that.

    Not sure if you're going to keep up with this, but if you do, count me in as another reader.

    ReplyDelete